total eclipse

Total Eclipse

My wife and I traveled to Tennessee to see the August 21st, 2017 total solar eclipse. The eclipse was great, it was our first time in totality. The things I remember that stood out were; the cicadas all started their songs, the birds went back to their nests, the mosquitoes came out. During totality I could see Mars and Venus and I think I could see Mercury. I could even see the star Regulus next to the sun . The corona spread further from the sun than I’ve seen in any of the pictures taken. The entire visible horizon had the colors of sunset. It didn’t get very dark, just about twilight or so. I’m already looking forward to 2024.

I brought a very portable setup with me.  I used a Baader Vario 60 telescope.  Then, the mount was a Meade LXD55 mount.  Finally, the camera was a monochrome Meade LPI-G with Baader solar continuum filter.  There were some last minute glitches and some lessons learned for next time.  The focus wasn’t perfect, but I’ve added a couple pictures taken with the setup anyway.

Totality
9/21/17 Solar Eclipse – Totality
Partial Eclipse
9/21/17 Solar Eclipse – Partial Eclipse

getting ready for 2017 NEAIC

NEAIC

I’ll be going to the annual Northeast Astro Imaging Conference (NEAIC) in a couple weeks. I’m looking forward to the talks and looking over all the new equipment.

I’ve attended NEAIC for the last few years.  It’s a great place to learn the details of astroimaging.

NEAF

The Northeast Astronomy Forum (NEAF) starts the day following the conference.  NEAF is a great place to see upcoming gear and get those parts you never knew you needed.  Don’t miss the chance to visit the solar observing setups on clear days.  Also, the NEAF talks are great.

focuser progress

One current project is a motorized focuser for the Takahashi telescope.  The focuser drives a stepper motor that controls focus.  When the first focuser is complete I’ll make another for the Celestron scope.

Progress
Focuser, early test
Focuser, early test

I’ve been making progress.   I installed the motor bracket on the Takahashi and tested the unit out.   So, now I have to fit everything into the project box.